The main benefit on running on free software with self-hosted services: these are not overwhelmed by the amount of people using them.
Yesterday various service providers had large outages. Hosting things yourself means two things:
- you are less affected by other people's behavior
- you decide what's top priority when something breaks
Using free software means:
- you have a community that helps
- you can search error messages in the source code
There arguments can of course also go the other way around.
Main disadvantages are:
- When something breaks, you are in charge of fixing it, not other people
- When you hit an error, you have to investigate. But you can of course pay people to help you with that if the community doesn't make it.
-when you have large quantities of people, you service might be overwhelmed as well, but it's easier and cheaper to "add more slots" by setting up a second or third machine
This is my personal microblog. It's filled with my fun, joy and silliness.